Restored Farmhouse B&B Awaits You
Stay at Moon Grove Farm's B&B
An 1881 restored farmhouse in Mahomet, IL awaits you. Surrounded by acreage in all directions, a stay on Moon Grove Farm offers farmland views and relaxation. Moon Grove Farm’s bed and breakfast opened on Memorial Day in 2018.
**Please note: As of May 13, 2019 we've indefinitely closed the Bed & Breakfast portion of our farm. We don't anticipate re-opening in the near future due to family reasons.**
Moon Grove Farm is conveniently located in Mahomet, IL. We’re a 15-20 minute drive from the University of Illinois located in Champaign-Urbana. From larger metro areas, we’re 139 miles from Indianapolis, 146 miles from downtown Chicago, and 175 miles from St. Louis, MO. Just far enough to “get away”, while not having to lose a day to travel.
Your Group's Farmstay
Whether you’re in town for a football game at the University of Illinois, attending a farm-to-table dinner at Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, doing a girls getaway, or craving to do something different with the kids - we have the farm stay experience to best meet your group's interests and needs.
We're a great fit for:
- Alumni Events & Football Games: Catching a football game? In town for an alumni event at University of Illinois? Start the tailgate fun at the farm.
- Cyclists: We’re a few miles from Lake of the Woods. Bring your bicycle and plan a route to see covered bridges and a nature preserve. On your way back, stop in town for a pint and burger.
- Girls Getaway: Get the girls together to for a staycation. Order in, pop open a bottle of wine and catch up in cozy style. We can also bring activities to you. We know local yoga instructors and can coordinate a private driver to take you on a brewery or winery tour.
- Friend Getaway: Been awhile since you got together with good friends? Have a mini reunion at Moon Grove and spend quality time together. Our coffee table is filled with board games, or sit outside and take in starry skies.
- Family Fun: We’re kid and family friendly! We're on five acres with the acre around the B&B safely fenced in. Climb trees, enjoy the swing set, play croquet or bags. Pet our goats, meet our chickens and if you're lucky - visit with our barn cat. Also we’re a 30-minute drive from a drive-in movie theater (seasonal) or 15 minute drive to a splash park and pool.
- Relatives In Town: Have relatives coming into town, but don't have the extra space? We'll provide the experience and space for them (and you) to relax.
- Romantic Getaway: While we don't currently offer one-room packages, we'd love to help you make an anniversary or engagement an experience to remember. Contact us for ideas on how to make your visit extra special!
The B&B Rental Package
The rental includes the second story of Moon Grove's restored farmhouse. The floor will be your private part of the house which includes three bedrooms and one full bath.
We offer two rental options for groups:
- Three-room package for $300/night (breakfast included)
- Two-room package for $200/night (breakfast included)
Each room is outfitted with soft sheets, a queen-sized bed, ample pillows and rustic furniture. Fresh-cut bouquet of Moon Grove Farm's flowers included in each room (when in season). Gaze out the windows at 200 year old sugar maple trees or acreage for miles in each direction.
Our three bedrooms are:
The Mint Room - Queen bed, giant sugar maple tree views, adjoining door to the Winter Wheat room, antique dresser, farmhouse lamp for reading books late night in bed, blackout curtains to sleep in, vertical rotating fan.
The Winter Wheat Room - white wrought iron bed queen-sized bed, distressed wood headboard, neutral palette, Victorian dollhouse, dresser, three windows with great views, blackout curtains, vertical rotating fan.
The Sky Room - Queen bed, great views overlooking our vegetable garden and flower pasture, original artwork by Frances T. Trammel (Jen's grandmother), dresser, telephone bench nightstand, vertical rotating fan, curtains.
Please note: all bedrooms are on the second floor of the farmhouse and accessed via a steep staircase.
We only rent to one group at a time. Your group will have a full private bathroom that is designed with vintage touches including retro penny tile and subway tile. Take a shower in our modernized tub with a dual shower head.
In the hallway, peruse the shelves to find the perfect book to browse during your stay. History buffs, artists, Vonnegut fans and gardeners will enjoy the featured selection.
Private Entrance & Parlor
Come and go as you please. Your private entrance overlooks an herb garden and fenced in yard with a white picket fence. You'll have a private covered porch - great to sip coffee on in the early morning and watch the sunrise over the cornfield.
Enjoy a spacious living room with antique velvet chairs, coffee table full of board games, wood-burning stove and drink cart with snacks and bottled water. Pop in a DVD from our collection to watch a late night movie and relax.
The parlor is closed off via french doors with curtains to ensure your group's privacy. In the morning, coffee awaits you in the living room on the drink cart (let us know the night before preferred time to have it ready). Your hosts will have breakfast ready and served in the dining room at a true farmhouse table.
Enjoy fresh eggs, bacon, biscuits and jam, fruit, coffee and juice (menu will be provided). Where possible, items served are sourced locally such as coffee from Page Roasting, cheese from Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery, meat from Bane Family Meats or fruit and veggies from Moon Grove Farm. Often guests are treated to delicious baked goods from Mahomet-based Lucky Moon Pies & More.
Planning Your Experience
For families staying at Moon Grove, board games, a dollhouse, children's books and DVDs available upon request. The yard surrounding Moon Grove is fenced in. It includes a swing set and a horse rocker.
Step away from the daily routine and take a moment to unwind on our farm:
Farm tour - we're happy to provide a tour of the farm
When in season, pick fresh fruit or berries as a snack. Mullberries, raspberries, gooseberries and 30+ fruit trees on site.
Help feed the chickens in the morning or collect eggs in the afternoon.
Stroll the flower farm - with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in-hand, stroll our one acre field to explore flowers that are in season (late June - early October).
Relax under maple trees - we have some of the oldest sugar maple trees around. Take a family photo or read a book under its shade.
Other Farm Fun
Birding: Binoculars and Illinois field guide provided. Put your bird watching skills to the test.
Mini Fridge: Use the refrigerator in the art gallery to keep your beer, wine, leftovers or snacks cool.
Dinner: Want to bring in dinner? Let us know. We can help make arrangements.
Yard games: bocce, croquet, bags set
Board games: Apples to Apples, Risk, Chess
Fire Pit: We can set up a firepit for your group to make s’mores in the evening (if the wind and weather permit)
Tech Detox: Need to unplug? We can store your devices for you and provide our phone number to your family in case of emergencies.
Nearby Places of Interest
Full list of recommendations for activities, agritourism experiences, points of interest to visit and day trips. We recommend you follow Visit Champaign County for seasonal recommendations.
Recommendations for spots to check out in Mahomet:
- Lake of the Woods: hiking trails, fishing, covered bridge, bike trails and golf course
- River Bend Forest Preserve: a mere mile away, enjoy hiking trails and bring your kayak to drop-in and paddle.
- Buffalo Trace Trail: a five minute drive away, enjoy a trail that has a paved path.
- Lucky Moon Pies & More: small bake shop with delicious goods
- Breaking Taco: authentic Mexican cuisine
- Yellow & Co.: cute boutique with painting classes
In Champaign-Urbana, we highly recommend checking out:
- Prairie Fruits Farm & Creamery in Champaign, IL for afternoon happy hours or farm-to-table dinners. Visit with goats and enjoy delicious cheese and gelato.
- Triptych Brewing: delicious craft beer, try the sour-style ales.
- Black Dog BBQ: try the burnt ends brisket
- Maize: ah-maizing mexican food in downtown Champaign.
- Market at the Square: every Saturday morning in Urbana
- Page Roasting: amazing coffee, delicious breakfast items
- Exile on Main Street: record store and vintage shop, sometimes has concerts in-store
- Golden Harbor: Authentic Chinese food
- Papa Del's: Deep dish pizza
- The Sipyard: hip shipping container bar in Urbana
- Riggs Brewing: Urbana-based, family owned brewery. Check their site for tours.
- Art Theater: Small, indie movie theater in Champaign, IL.
- Hopscotch Bakery: small neighborhood bakery filled with deliciousness
- The Esquire: Great "towny" pub with decent bar food, good patio on a sunny day and you can throw peanuts on the floor